Saturday, March 29, 2014

Heisenberg and his Uncertainty Principle

No, I don't mean that Heisenberg. Though Breaking Bad was a pretty good series.

I mean Werner Heisenberg, the scientist type guy.

Here's the thing. Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle, in a nutshell, advises that the mere act of observing quanta (or quantum particles) alters their state. If this is the case, we cannot be certain of the true nature of said quanta if the mere act of observation interferes with their situation and velocity.

Scientists have gone to great lengths to combat this problem, going so far as to build massive particle accelerators in an attempt to remove human interference in the process of accelerating the particle's energy of motion. However, to know the position and velocity of an object, one must measure it, and the tools used to measure said object inevitably affects it.

It's like throwing a volkswagon at a chair to determine its location and distance. The car is going to move or crush that chair, thus changing it. So whatever state the chair was in before, it most certainly is not in the same state after the vehicle has been tossed at it.

This principle makes sense, and is one of the reasons why a lot of quantum experiments are theoretical.

I'm still reading up on quantum mechanics, the many worlds theory, and the Copenhagen interpretation (I'm looking at you, Niels Bohr). But it's the weekend, and I need to sleep sometime.

I just found Heisenberg's thoughts to be interesting, and most certainly makes sense - anything, once observed, has changed by the act of observation.

I'm sure that somebody much smarter than I am could correct these rambling thoughts, but I'm trying to simplify what I am reading so that it makes sense.


No comments:

Post a Comment